I ate one of the best in a restaurant called ' Waterfront' on Necklace Road in Hyderabad. Very well made with just the right amount of sweetness...That was the best. This is a try to mimic that.
1 box Turkish Apricots; I got them in Fresh Market. They are dark brown unlike the regular ones which are golden yellow in color
1 cup fine sugar
1/2 - 1 cup of water
1 tsp cardamom powder
1/4 cup blanched almonds
- Soak the Apricots in water overnight.
- Heat a pan and place the soaked apricots in the pan
- Stir in the sugar and add half a cup of water and cook until it is saucy, about 20 min.
- Stir the mixture occasionally
- Add more water as necessary just to make it similar to tamarind pulp, Don't add water if it is of the right consistency
- Add the Cardamon powder and mix in the blanched almonds
- Cool it down
- Serve it over a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream