The beauty of eggplant is it can be cooked any which way and it has an inherent taste that makes the dish delicious.I have eaten eggplant in every form, from curries to pickles to Lasagna. However, not this one!This dish has a mild Thai flavor while retaining the Indian flavor from the Ginger garlic paste and the curry powder.
The eggplant with Paneer(substituted for Tofu) is simmered in coconut milk alongside with wilted spinach and tomatoes.I have adapted this recipe from Food Network Magazine.
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced, into half moons/semicircles
3 cloves garlic
1 3-inch piece ginger, peeled
1 14-ounce can whole plum tomatoes
6-8 green chillies
2 Japanese eggplants, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
1 block Paneer, cubed and lightly fried in bitter or oil
3 cups spinach
Salt and pepper
- Place eggplant in a bowl filled with salt water.Set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a nonstick vessel
- Add the onions and let them cook until softened.
- In a blender, puree ginger, garlic, green chillies with a little bit of water
- Drain the tomatoes from the can preserving the juice
- Crush the tomatoes with a fork
- Add the remaining 2 tbsps of oil to the pan. Drain the water and add just the eggplant.
- Cook for a couple of min.
- Add the blended ginger garlic chilli paste;Stir in the curry powder
- Let them cook for 2-3 min
- Add the tomatoes and not the juice yet.Let the tomatoes cook for 2-3 min.
- Then add the juice, 1 cup water, coconut milk
- Let them cook for 4-5 min, until eggplant is tender
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Finally add the lightly fried paneer pieces.
- Serve with hot rice.