To me, idli is the easiest breakfast to make once you have the batter, of course.Mostly, I make the idlis during Summer and Fall. The rest of the time, I get the prepared batter. Some of the best idlis, I have had were my mom's and from a restaurant in Hyderabad-Minerva Coffee Shop!
There are different proportions and variations to this and this is the recipe I usually follow!
For basic/Plain Idli:
2 cups Idli Rawa (You can find it in Indian Grocery Stores)
1 cup Urad Dal
Soak Idli Rawa and Urad Dal separately for 4-6 hours.
Drain the water from both the urad dal and rawa into a bowl.
Blend the Urad Dal by gradually adding the water (saved from draining) not making it too runny.It should have a thick consisitency.
Mix the blended urad dal to the Idli rawa until well combined.
Try to do it with hands!
Let it sit overnight in a warm place.It should rise and will be a bit foamy on the top.Mix it with the spoon.
Add Salt to taste
Take about 4-5 cups batter (A cup is 8oz)
1 cup Mixed Veggies
1 cup Mixed Veggies or your choice of veggies.I used frozen veggies
3-4 curry leaves
1/2 tsp of Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp of Mustard seeds
2 green chillies chopped
Heat oil in a pan.Add Cumin seeds, mustard seeds,green chillies, curry leaves and fry for a couple of min. Add Tomatoes and veggies and let them cook for 4-5 minutes until the veggies are tender.
Add this to the idli batter (4-5 cups of batter)
Grease the idli moulds (See how they look) with oil or veg spray.Pour a ladelful into the mould making sure it does not overflow.
I use a pressure cooker (I make it into a steam cooker by taking the whistle/weight off ) to cook idlis.You could use a steam cooker.
Pour 4-6 cups of water into a pressure cooker and lower the set of idli plates into the cooker.Also, make sure the water does not touch the idli plates.
Cook for about 10 minutes.Remove the moulds when they cooled down a bit and easy to handle.
Remove the idlis from the moulds with a spoon.
Serve hot with chutney.
This goes to WYF:Breakfast event hosted by EC of Simple Indian Food.
Ramya has tagged me to share my ABCs!
1. Link the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Share the ABCs of you.
4. Tag 4 people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs.
5. Let the 4 tagged people know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website.
6. Do not tag the same person repeatedly but try to tag different people, so that there is a big network of bloggers doing this tag.
1. A – Available/Single? Nope
2. B – Best friend? While I have many good friends, I do have a soft spot for Pallavi (My school friend)
3. C – Cake or Pie? Cake
4. D – Drink of choice? Water or Soda!
5. E – Essential item you use every day? Cell Phone and a Laptop
6. F – Favorite color? Black
7. G – Gummy Bears Or Worms?Don't know, Bears May be!
8. H – Hometown? Hyd
9. I – Indulgence? Anything sweet
10. J – January or February? January..The winter is not as brutal as in Feb
11. K – Kids & their names? 1 Daughter-Shriya
12. L – Life is incomplete without? Family
13. M – Marriage date? March 2nd
14. N – Number of siblings? 2 - 1 brother
15. O – Oranges or Apples? Like them both
16. P – Phobias/Fears?Have a lot! Animals, Heights, Roller coasters...
17. Q – Quote for today? All is well that ends well.
18. R – Reason to smile? My daughter and all her dramas in the house..LOL!
19. S – Season? Fall
.20. T – Tag 4 People? Tough one!(Scroll down)
21. U – Unknown fact about me? I am short:D
22. V – Vegetable you don't like?Love all of them
23. W – Worst habit? Get anxious over trivial things!
24. X – X-rays you've had? I don't remember..I do remember I had one for my back for Arthritis and Sinus!
25. Y – Your favorite food?Street Food in Hyd and Italian
26. Z – Zodiac sign? Aries