Vegetable Idli

To me, idli is the easiest breakfast to make once you have the batter, of course.Mostly, I make the idlis during Summer and Fall. The rest of the time, I get the prepared batter. Some of the best idlis, I have had were my mom's and from a restaurant in Hyderabad-Minerva Coffee Shop!
There are different proportions and variations to this and this is the recipe I usually follow!

For basic/Plain Idli:
2 cups Idli Rawa (You can find it in Indian Grocery Stores)
1 cup Urad Dal

Soak Idli Rawa and Urad Dal separately for 4-6 hours.
Drain the water from both the urad dal and rawa into a bowl.
Blend the Urad Dal by gradually adding the water (saved from draining) not making it too runny.It should have a thick consisitency.
Mix the blended urad dal to the Idli rawa until well combined.
Try to do it with hands!
Let it sit overnight in a warm place.It should rise and will be a bit foamy on the top.Mix it with the spoon.
Add Salt to taste

Take about 4-5 cups batter (A cup is 8oz)
1 cup Mixed Veggies
1 cup Mixed Veggies or your choice of veggies.I used frozen veggies
1 Tomato,chopped
3-4 curry leaves
1/2 tsp of Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp of Mustard seeds
2 green chillies chopped
1tbsp Oil

Heat oil in a pan.Add Cumin seeds, mustard seeds,green chillies, curry leaves and fry for a couple of min. Add Tomatoes and veggies and let them cook for 4-5 minutes until the veggies are tender.
Add this to the idli batter (4-5 cups of batter)

Grease the idli moulds (See how they look) with oil or veg spray.Pour a ladelful into the mould making sure it does not overflow.

I use a pressure cooker (I make it into a steam cooker by taking the whistle/weight off ) to cook idlis.You could use a steam cooker.

Pour 4-6 cups of water into a pressure cooker and lower the set of idli plates into the cooker.Also, make sure the water does not touch the idli plates.

Cook for about 10 minutes.Remove the moulds when they cooled down a bit and easy to handle.

Remove the idlis from the moulds with a spoon.

Serve hot with chutney.

This goes to WYF:Breakfast event hosted by EC of Simple Indian Food.

Ramya has tagged me to share my ABCs!

The Rules:
1. Link the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Share the ABCs of you.
4. Tag 4 people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs.
5. Let the 4 tagged people know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website.
6. Do not tag the same person repeatedly but try to tag different people, so that there is a big network of bloggers doing this tag.

The Tag:
1. A – Available/Single? Nope

2. B – Best friend? While I have many good friends, I do have a soft spot for Pallavi (My school friend)

3. C – Cake or Pie? Cake

4. D – Drink of choice? Water or Soda!

5. E – Essential item you use every day? Cell Phone and a Laptop

6. F – Favorite color? Black

7. G – Gummy Bears Or Worms?Don't know, Bears May be!

8. H – Hometown? Hyd

9. I – Indulgence? Anything sweet

10. J – January or February? January..The winter is not as brutal as in Feb

11. K – Kids & their names? 1 Daughter-Shriya

12. L – Life is incomplete without? Family

13. M – Marriage date? March 2nd

14. N – Number of siblings? 2 - 1 brother

15. O – Oranges or Apples? Like them both

16. P – Phobias/Fears?Have a lot! Animals, Heights, Roller coasters...

17. Q – Quote for today? All is well that ends well.

18. R – Reason to smile? My daughter and all her dramas in the house..LOL!

19. S – Season? Fall

.20. T – Tag 4 People? Tough one!(Scroll down)

21. U – Unknown fact about me? I am short:D

22. V – Vegetable you don't like?Love all of them

23. W – Worst habit? Get anxious over trivial things!

24. X – X-rays you've had? I don't remember..I do remember I had one for my back for Arthritis and Sinus!

25. Y – Your favorite food?Street Food in Hyd and Italian

26. Z – Zodiac sign? Aries

Hari
Sushma
Mythreyi
Pavithra

For now!
Shri

32 comments:

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Wow - looks awesome...
Have to try it - cool way to get some veggies into kids too...

Padma said...

Healthy breakfast... looks lovely and nice to read the ABC tag :)

Pari Vasisht said...

That's a very healthy Idli, and looks colourful, will catch the kidos.

Sushma Mallya said...

looks good and colourful with vegetables in that...surely worth trying it once, thanks for tagging...

Abhilash said...

oh my god!
Vegetable idli..

ha ha the recipe and the looks both are interesting...

I never saw this before...

I hope this will be a best dish when people want to eat good vegetables.. if we have sambhar too then...mm... yummy...

jabardast idea boss!

Nithya said...

This looks way healthy and interesting. will try it out soon :)

Yasmeen said...

Thumbs-up for the colorful idlis!

ST said...

Happy ganesh chaturthi to you & your family dear :)
Veetable idli looks Divine...
Soup 'N Juice Event is going on in my blog.Please do participate in it.

Unknown said...

Nice reading abt u shri!!
Veggie idli looks healthy and yumm!!

Rush said...

it is definitely an easy cut ourt breakfast..i remember once, once of the parents came home for weekend brunch, we had idlis in the menu...as she suggested that the vegetable idli is a fantastic option during birthday parties...kids love them!!
i have ur recipe now to experiment :)

Unknown said...

nice variation perfect and healthy breakfast. sounds very interesting

Unknown said...

Lovely breakfast and a very interesting tag.

Vaishali said...

Hi Shri, to answer your question on IAVW, yes, you can definitely send in the dish you mentioned.
I love these colorful, jewel-hued idlis. They look so beautiful AND healthful. A win-win. And I tend to worry about trivial things too :)

Priya Suresh said...

Such a healthy and colourful idli...looks great..glad to know more about u Shri..

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Great idea and healthy recipe too.

Preety said...

idli looks so colorful and healthy too..nice recipe

sra said...

Hi Shri! I think this is one of the few idli recipes that I've been moved to comment on - they look really pretty.

Srilakshmi said...

Lovely Recipe! I miss Minerva Coffee Shop so much :-( Sambar from that restaurant is amazing! Congrats on your awards (your previous post) and a nice Tag!

Abhilash said...

Chavithi... I was wondering what it is and would wonder again if "google devta" would never have told me that it is celebrated for my "istha dev", lord ganesha,...

So happy chavithi to you too...

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Wow thats really colorful and yummy idlies... hey good to know more abt u and thanks for passing to me too.. give me some time i will post in couple of days dearie

Shri said...

HCOF,Padma, Pari and Sushma, Thanks for your comments!

Thanks, Abhilash!Glad that you could decipher my code:D:)Yes, I was lazy to type the entire thing...Sorry for the confusion:D

Thanks,Nithya and Yasmeen!

Yes Sireesha, I will try to make something,time permitting,of course:)

Shri said...

Thanks Rush,Ramya,A2Z,Rekhas Kitchen!

Vaishali,Thanks for the clarfn.We know we worry,we know we should not be worried yet we worry?:PI put in some effort to change that but...

Thanks,Priya, Mythreyi,Preeti!

Thanks, Sra!Your blog is very interesting and thanks for leaving a comment here:)

Srilakshmi, Tell me abt MCS and I can talk to you abt it for hrs:D

Shri said...

Thanks Pavithra!Have fun doing the tag:)

Deepthi Shankar said...

vegetable Idli is so healthy really .. nice to read more about you in the tag

lubnakarim06 said...

Adding veggies is really an yum twist to the routine simple idlis....looks appetizing...

Srivalli said...

Shri..its really healthy idli. Happy vinayaka chavithi.

Vrinda said...

Yummy colorful idlies Shri..in kerala v dont use idli rawa,else v make with raw rice,my fav bfast,looks so soft and yummm

Soma said...

Great way to feed the kids, all in one plate. I will have to make this next time. Looks so pretty & colorful

Shri said...

Thanks Deesha, KF,Srivalli and Soma, for your lovely comments:)

Vrinda!Is it parboiled rice that you use?A Kerala friend that I know uses Parboiled rice!

Siri said...

those are some cute idlis and a very interesting meme Shri :))..I can't wait to meet you...hmmm..tomorrow I guess ;)

Hugs,
Siri

EC said...

Nice reading the meme and lovely idlis..thanks for the entry

Shri said...

Siri!Me too:)I am excited!

Thanks EC!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...