Pretzels

This is the first time I am baking bread! I have always felt baking any kind of bread is a daunting task and way too overwhelming. I would rather go to Panera and pick up a baguette. But, finally, I took the plunge! Interestingly, I am not big on Pretzels. Occasionally, I would pick up Pretzel Tide’s ‘Pretzel Bites’ and I cannot stand any other pretzels. I made this because my daughter who is quite a picky eater loves ‘em. I took this recipe from Bobby Flay’s Soft Pretzels recipe and it came out very well! We had that for dinner by the way, yes, ME TOO! He also gives the recipe for Con Queso dip but I served it with store bought dip.

Some tidbits I found interesting (From WIKI ) “The Pretzel Museum opened in Philadelphia by members of the Nacchio family dynasty in 1993 to highlight the area’s preference for their more unique more rectangle shaped styled pretzels being baked soft and unlike the dominant more circular hard pretzels produced in western Pennsylvania. Champion hand pretzel twister Helen Hoff produced 57 pretzels per minute at this first museum.10 years later, Pennsylvania governor Ed Rendell declares April 26 National Pretzel Day to acknowledge the importance of the pretzel to the state's history and economy. Congress declared it in 1983, but stopped the "commemorative day" practice in 1998”
-Did you know that the Germans eat/ate pretzels on Good Friday because the shape resembles praying hands?

Makes about 8 pretzels
• 1 1/2 cups warm water
• 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
• 1 package active dry yeast
• 3 ounces unsalted butter, melted
• 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher/regular salt
• 4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
• Vegetable oil
• 3 quarts water
• 3/4 cup baking soda
• 2 whole eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
• Coarse sea salt

Combine the water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl using a mixer.
To this, add flour and salt, and mix until well combined.
Increase the speed of the mixer and knead the dough until it is smooth and begins to pull away from the bowl. If you find the dough too wet, add some flour to it.
Grease a bowl and place the dough in it and coat the dough with the oil/butter.Cover and store in a warm place until the dough doubles in size. Took me about an hour and a half
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Line a pan with parchment paper or Al foil and grease with butter or PAM
Bring the 3 quarts of water to a boil and add baking soda to it.
Remove the dough from the bowl and divide it into 8 equal pieces.
Roll each piece into a long rope measuring 22 inches.

To Shape:
Take the right side and cross over to the left.
Cross right to left again and flip up.
Place two pretzels at a time in the boiling water for about 30 seconds.
Take out the boiled pretzels using a large spoon. Place it on the baking sheet and brush the tops with egg and season the top with coarse sea salt.
Bake them in a preheated oven until golden brown, for about 20 minutes.
Let them cool down a bit and serve with your favorite dips!


This goes to Cooking for Kids:Evening Snacks, guest hosted by Divya, an event started by Sharmi of Naivedyam.

Also, it goes to Sunday Snacks:Snacks by Bread, guesthosted by Priya, an event started by Hima of SnackOrama.

Have fun,
Shri:)

26 comments:

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Great job. Very impressive...

Sushma Mallya said...

They look so yummy and perfect...

Pari Vasisht said...

I can empathise with you. I am still learning to work on bread making. Your pretzels look cute I am sure ur daughter must be feeling proud abt her mom.

Rush said...

have never tried baking pretzels...thou love aunt annes soft pretzels with honey mustard...my ultimate comfort mall food!!!
will try this!!

Unknown said...

Perfect pretzels and perfect entries for the events. Love them.

Hari Chandana P said...

Looks perfect.. yummyy

Soma said...

Congrats Shri! first time? job well done for they look professionally done.

Priya Suresh said...

Great job Shri, looks simply superb..thanks for sending to SS..

amna said...

the first step to bread making is always like that. but totally worth it no?

s said...

Looks good...maybe i will try this one out..

Parita said...

Now this wasnt as difficult right?
They have come out PERFECT!

Padma said...

Has come out really Perfect...

Shri said...

Thanks,Home Cooked Oriya Food,Sushma,
Pari,Rush,A2Z

Vrinda said...

Pretzels cameout perfect dear,i am a pretzel fan,not the basic one,i lov Aunt annie's pretzels...

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Looks great and perfect, thanks for sharing!

Shri said...

Hari Chandana,Thanks!

Yes, Soma, This is my first time and I was quite excited with the end result!

Have fun with the event, Priya!

Have to agree with you, Nags, and I was kicking myself why I did not give it a try in my 6 yrs of baking!At the very least a TRY:(

Thanks S

Shri said...

Parita, When I look back, yes it doesnt seem too difficult bu while I was making it, my heart was in fact racing about how it will turn out!

Thanks Padma!

Looks like there are quite a few Aunt Annie's fans out there!:D

Thanks Mythreyi!

Indian Khana said...

For 1st time its very gud...nice try..

Jyoti V said...

Hi Shri,

I have an award for you in my blog pls do accept it.

Perfect Pretzels..

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Got an award for u, plz accept it dear:)

Sushma Mallya said...

Pls do come and accept the award from my blog shri,,

Preety said...

pretzels looks so good..exactly like store bought ones..

Chk out my recipe here..little diff than yours..will try yours next time

http://preetyskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/01/blog-post_18.html

Shri said...

Thanks a ton for the awards,Jyoti, Mythreyi, Sushma!You are just adorable:)

Thanks Preety!

Unknown said...

great job dear looks so perfect and yummy.

Aps Kitchen said...

I just saw these in discovery now - How its made.....nd my i m seeing the recipe here gr8 i will try it nd u r in my blogroll

Astra Libris said...

I am so impressed! Your pretzels are gorgeous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...