Today's dish also hails from the land of coconuts -Appam and Stew.It is a lacey crepe which is very light in texture and flavor.Served with stew, you are a step short from Heaven. I had my share of utter flops and some good hits with this dish. This recipe seems to give me perfect Appams every time I make it.So try it!
1 cup Rice flour (There is also rice flour meant for making Palappams under the name of Nirapara)
1 1/2 tbsps cooked rice
1/2 cup coconut milk (I used a canned coconut milk)
Salt to taste
1 packet active dry yeast packet
3 tsps sugar
1/4 cup water
- Dissolve the sugar in 1/4 cup water and add the yeast.
- Set aside in a warm place until it is frothy.
- Blend the rice flour, yeast mixture and cooked rice
- Set aside the batter to rise and ferment overnight. You cannot go wrong with the sour and the yeast smell.
- Before making the appams, add the coconut milk and salt.
- Heat the Appam Chethi.
- Pour a ladle of appam batter and quickly swirl the pan such that it covers the edges of the pan in order to get the shape of a bowl leaving a puddle in the center.
- Cover it with a lid and cook for 2 min.
- Once the appam is cooked, the appam will start peeling away from the edges of the pan
- Gently remove the appam from the pan and place it on a plate.
- Serve it with Vegetable stew(Recipe Follows)
2 potatoes, peeled, cut into big cubes and boiled
3 carrots, peeled, chopped and boiled
15 beans, cut and boiled
1 Onion, cut in half and thinly sliced similar to half moons
1 Cinnamon stick
2 Bay leaves
2 Green chillies, chopped
2 cups coconut milk
1 tbsp coconut oil
8- 10 Curry leaves, divided
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Oil
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.
- Add the chillies and 4-5 curry leaves;Fry them for 2 min
- Add the cloves, Cinnamon stick and Bay leaves
- Cook for a few min.
- Pour the Coconut milk and simmer for 5 min
- Add the Carrots, Beans and Potatoes
- Continue simmering such that the flavors of the veggies are well absorbed
- Stir in the Coconut oil
- Garnish with the rest of the curry leaves.
- Serve with hot appams