Aloo Bonda w/ Coconut Chutney

Deep Frying is a big no-no in my house. Either because me and V are not in the best health, best shape or that the house starts stinking after a while. We never used to notice when we deep fried earlier, that there used to be a certain smell that you cannot get rid of easily in the house. I guess that is where my love for baking began.
However, I will admit that frying has its own taste and it can be quite addictive. We very rarely deep fry as is evident from my blog posts but I will never say never!!

Aloo Bonda has become one of my favorites after one of the cooks at my mom's made this and I fell in love with it.And yes, my Bonda has a few ears too:-)

3 potatoes, boiled with the skins
4 Curry leaves
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 inch ginger, chopped into pieces
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
5 green chillies, finely chopped
Pinch of Hing

Batter-
1 cup Besan/Gram flour
Salt to taste
Pinch of Baking soda(Optional)
Oil to deep fry

Aloo Stuffing
  • Peel the skin off of boiled potatoes and mash them; Set aside
  • Heat a tbsp of oil and fry Urad Dal, Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds
  • Fry for a couple of min until they turn golden brown
  • Add the green chillies, curry leaves and turmeric
  • Add a whiff of hing
  • Combine till the potato mixture is well coated with the seasoning
  • Divide the mixture into golf sized balls
  • Set aside
Batter-
  • Combine the besan with enough water to make it a smooth batter.
  • Stir in the salt and baking soda, if using
Bonda -
  • Heat Oil in a wok. To test if the oil is hot enough, drop a small drop of batter and look to see if it turns golden brown and floats
  • Dip the potato ball in the ball and evenly coat it
  • Drop it slowly into the oil and fry until it is golden brown
  • Continue till all the balls have been fried
  • Serve them hot with coconut chutney
Coconut Chutney-
1 cup Dahlia(Putnala pappu)
1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
1/4 cup roasted peanuts
6 green chillies, finely chopped
1 inch Ginger, finely chopped
1 tbsp Ghee
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Mustard seeds
Pinch of Hing
  • Blend the Pappu, Coconut, Peanuts, chillies, ginger with enough water to make it a smooth paste; You can also add buttermilk if you would like slightly sour taste
  • Heat a tbsp of Ghee
  • Add Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds
  • Add some hing
  • Mix it quickly to the blended coconut paste

6 comments:

chef and her kitchen said...

Its breakfast time n I m hungry....if u can send two of dem,would liek 2 stuff in my pav n eat..:)

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious looking bonda and chutney combination

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow...sounds very inviting...pass me d platter shri..;)
Tasty Appetite

Unknown said...

Bonda and a cup of tea is what I want now...looks that tempting

Priya Suresh said...

Yumm,makes me hungry.

Tina said...

Delicious bonda...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...