In my fascination for desserts, I like to think I can conjure up any dessert when I look at one in a restaurant, but of course, it is not that easy.
Mascarapone cheese is a cross between Cream cheese and creme fraiche in taste and resembles thick butter in texture.You can find it in most Speciality food stores.Skipping the rum will alter the taste but the taste is equally good.
6 Egg Yolks
3 tbsps Sugar
1 lb Mascarapone Cheese
1 1/2 cups Espresso
2 tsps Dark Rum (Optional)
24 Lady Fingers(Saviordi)
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate shavings
1/2 cup cocoa powder
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale, for about 5 min
- Add the mascarapone cheese and beat until smooth.
- Add a tablespoon of espresso and mix until well combined
- In another dish, combine espresso and rum.
- Dip each ladyfinger in to the espresso-rum mixture for 1-2 seconds with out making the ladyfinger too soggy
- In a 8X8 square pan,start placing the lady fingers vertically. If needed, break them to fit in the pan.
- Once the lady fingers are layered, spread 1/2 of the mascarapone mixture on top.
- Once again, layer another set of lady fingers on top of the mascarapone mixture. Spread the remaining masacarpone mixture.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge overnight
- Using a sieve, sprinkle cocoa powder.
- Cover and refrigerate for another half hour
- Cover with chocolate shavings before serving.