10 cups of Whole Milk
3/4 cups of Basmati rice
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp saffron mixed with a 3 oz of warm milk
1/4 cup Jaggery; If Jaggery is unavailable, use Brown Sugar
6 Whole Cardamoms, crushed
1/4 cup of Cashews
1/4 cup Raisins
- Dissolve Saffron in warm milk and set aside for about 15 min
- In a heavy non stick pot, boil milk and sugar.
- Stir it constantly
- Continue to simmer until the milk reduces in half
- Add the sugar and Jaggery/Brown sugar. Do not add the jaggery before boiling the milk as it tends to curdle the milk
- Stir it until it is well combined
- Add the saffron with the milk. This gives the paayasam/pudding a subtle yellow color
- Heat the ghee in a small saucepan, and add cashews, raisins, cardamoms;Let the cashews brown slightly and the raisins plump
- Add it to the Pudding
- Simmer for about 1o more minutes until the mixture gets thicker.
- Serve warm or cold;Personally I like it cold.