The only change I made to this recipe is, I have used less lemon curd.The layer between the cakes does not have lemon curd. You can always use the store bought lemon curd.
Recipe: Martha Stewart
2 sticks Unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups All Purpose flour, plus more for pans
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 tbsps freshly grated zest of 2 lemons
2 recipes lemon curd
Lemon Swiss Meringue Butter cream
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Butter 2 9X2 inch round cake pans and line the bottoms with a parchment paper
- In a bowl, sift the flours, baking powder, and salt
- In another bowl, combine sour cream, lemon zest and juice
- In a bowl fitted with an attachment, beat the butter on medium high speed until fluffy.
- Add sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 min
- Add eggs one at a time, beating for 1 min after each addition
- With the mixer set on a low speed, add the flour mixture alternating with sour cream beginning and ending with the flour mixture.Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.Bake until cakes are golden brown and pull away from the sides of the pan, about 30 to 35 min
- Transfer the cake to cool down.
- Invert the cakes and remove the parchment paper. Re invert them so that the tops can be cool down
- Trim the top of the cakes.Slice each cake in half and in two layers.On the bottom layer, spread 1/2 cup lemon curd over the top. Cover it with a top layer. Repeat the same with the other cake.(I skipped the lemon curd between the cakes)
- Spread a thin layer of Swiss Meringue Butter cream to seal the crumbs. Refrigerate until chilled
- Spread the remaining Butter cream on the cake.
- Refrigerate 30 min before decorating with Lemon Curd
- Fill the Lemon curd into a ziploc bag. Pipe the dots on the top of the cake
- You can pipe vertical lines on the sides of the cake
8 egg yolks
1/2 cup lemon juice plus 2 tbsps
1 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/4 sticks of unsalted butter
- Combine the yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is thick, 8 to 10 min. The thermometer should register 160F
- Remove from the stove. Add salt and butter, one piece at a time, till smooth.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a medium bowl.Stir in the zest
- Cover with wrap and refrigerate until chilled for an hour
4 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into tablespoons
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine the egg whites and sugar in a bowl set over simmering water
- Whisk constantly until the sugar has dissolved and it is warm to the touch
- Remove from the heat; Using a mixer, beat the mixture on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Beat the mixture until it is fluffy and cooled about 5 min
- With the mixer on low speed, add the butter few tbsps at a time.
- Beat in vanilla at the lowest setting.Stir until the frosting is smooth