Coconut & Lime Lace Tuiles

A lot of you can relate to when I say, kids in their 'terrible 2's',-eating habits or just making them sit in one place for 5 sec and focus on something particular.It is frustrating and equally humorous!Lately, I am unable to manage my daughter, some one who I thought is relatively a docile one, with good listening ears.But now, she does exactly opposite of what I ask her to do.Is it the age or my frustration, I am not quite sure!Despite all of it,the one part I love is when she runs and hides under my dining table whenever I ask her to clean up her toys or have food.That makes me smile,always!
She is not a good eater. She mainly survives on dairy products, boiled veggies and occasionally fruits!And oh!Apple juice, lots of it!But anything else is a big no-no for her!We are still struggling to get her to mix rice and curry or dal instead of eating both of them separately.I hope time and age will take care of that!However, she is open to tasting and spitting instantaneously if she doesn't like it, which is mostly the case!But these cookies are one of those that she was willing to give a try and I had this feeling she liked:)

Tuile in French means 'tile'.Apparently, it is so named because the classic tuile when moulded gives it a roof tile shape.These are a lot of fun to make and quite easy actually!You can mould them into different shapes-flowers or tubes or cups, when in a pliable state after baking.You can also fill some light fillings.

I have used Martha Stewart's recipe,almost to the letter.

3 tbsps unsalted butter
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 light corn syrup
2 tbsps all purpose flour
Pinch of Salt
Zest of 1 lime

Photobucket

  • Preheat the oven to 350F
  • Line baking with parchment paper
  • Cook butter, sugar and corn syrup on medium by stirring constantly until the butter and sugar liquefy.Remove from the heat
  • In a separate bowl, whisk flour, coconut and salt.Add this to the butter mixture.Mix in the zest
  • Drop rounds of batter onto the sheets.Place them atleast 2 inches apart, it spreads out
  • Bake them for about 8 to 9 minutes, until the cookies are golden
  • Take them out and using a spatula, wrap them around a rolling pin or the handle of a saucepan (must be a metal handle).
  • Let them stand until set.

Photobucket


32 comments:

prasu said...

Wo..Wo..great work dear.......lovely.

Sushma Mallya said...

That looks wonderful..new dish,will try it surely...

Unknown said...

o wow..aboslutely wonderul n new ;) to me...
looking like lace cookies...shud taste this one...

gr8 clicks for all the recipes...

sandhya said...

looks beautiful....these are on my to do list from a long time, now seeing ur's i am tempted to try these soon...

Yasmeen said...

Those definitely must have delighted the cute 2 yr old :)

Unknown said...

They look so delicious, a definite kid pleaser.

Bergamot said...

If kids are not fussy, would new dishes be tried at home :-) this one looks really nice and crisp

Padma said...

Looks awesome Shri... definitely must try this...

ST said...

Something new and very very delicious and kid friendly too:)

Unknown said...

looks gorgeous!!!New recipe for me..so sure to try this soon.Thanks for sharing.:)

Uma said...

lace cookies came out perfect. looks so yummy :)

Priya Suresh said...

Delectable tuiles, looks tremendous Shri...

Rush said...

must have been awesome fun givin shape to Tuile's with your daighter...wud love to see the little one with her apron and hands all messy and a tuile smacked face..please post some pics of her as well in the kitchen

Sunitha said...

Nice job here.. Thanks for sharing.

Gita Jaishankar said...

Awesome cookies...love the shape and texture of these cookies...good one :)

Sanjana said...

I never knew it was possible to make tuile's without eggs! I've never even seen an eggless recipe for them. Thank you so much for sharing this, I'll have to give it a go!

Mythreyi Dilip said...

OMG! look at this, so thin and crispy. Excellent work and great clicks too Shri:)

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Awesome cookies...
Dont worry about your daughter - she eats boiled veggies and dairy! Thats good for now. Don't worry, at 4 - you will see she will start trying stuff and actually eating. All the best, we all go through it. I have a 3 1/2 yr old son, who loves food; but can go days only on gold fish and nothing else...

Nandinis food said...

Nice Tuiles! They look fabulous! I'd love to have them right now!

amna said...

Tuiles is such a cute name :)

Tina said...

Beautiful and delicious...

Sreelekha Sumesh said...

Wow..superb..Great job Shri..

indosungod said...

DD did it when she was younger and still likes the rice and dal/sambhar etc on the side.

These tuiles look beautiful.

Shama Nagarajan said...

lovely recipe

Sarah Naveen said...

New recipe for me!! Love it an d it looks amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I hear you Shri..i went through the same phase with my 3 year old...she has gotten a LOT better now but still has pangs of incredible fussyness thats drives me NUTS : ) ... Boiled Vege's and dairy sounds amazing to me though so i doubt you should worry too much. These cookies are beauties BTW...you have a way of giving glamor to everything...oh wait...thats your tasty touch ! : )

Vrinda said...

New to me...gr8 recipe dear...looks so crispy and delish...

Namitha said...

Beautiful...must be delicious too :-)

Angie's Recipes said...

They look crusty, chewy and coconuty!

Anonymous said...

very very uniqure shri..it looks very inviting.

Parita said...

Wow Shri Tuiles look absolutely gorgeous, is till got to try my hands on them :-)

Soma said...

O this is so pretty so lacey intricate and singing to me. beautiful.

hear ya about the 2 year old.. I call it a different phase almost like teenage.. the new found independence and the rebellious mind ;-) but far more sweeter than a 13 year old.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...