I cant wait to go to India, see my parents and I really am looking forward to my brother's wedding.Until I am back, don't have too much fun and miss me every time you are eating something sweet!!I will miss you all and your fun reads very much!The weather is getting pleasant, at times that is and Spring is just around the corner.Enjoy the weather!
I made this cake for one of my friends' baby shower and everyone really liked it.I made a few changes like making a raspberry whipped cream instead of jam.
1 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs separated
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 cup Milk
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup Raspberry Jam
4 oz of Whipped cream (Light)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
8 oz Cream Cheese, room temperature
2 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp Pure Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F.Grease 2-8 inch round cake pans.Line the bottoms with parchment paper
- Separate the eggs while still cold.Place egg yolks in a bowl and the whites in another.Cover them with plastic wrap for about 30 min
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt
- Beat the butter until soft and add 3/4 cup sugar.Beat until light and fluffy.Add egg yolks beating after each addition .Using a spatula scrape down the sides of the bowl.Add vanilla extract
- With mixer on low speed, add flour and milk alternately, beginning and ending with flour
- In a separate bow,beat the egg whites until foamy.Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Add the remaining sugar (1/4 cup) and beat until stiff peaks form
- Fold the egg whites into the batter until combined.* Do not over mix as this will cause the batter to deflate*
- Pour the batter evenly into the 2 prepared pans and bake them in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 min or until a tooth pick comes out clean
- Cool the cakes completely and wrap the cakes in a plastic wrap and place the cakes in the refrigerator for about an hour.
You could use just any jam of your choice but for some reason I love this filling
Combine the whipped cream and jam well.Do not use any blender or hand mixer.Do it with hand as you would egg whites.
Place one layer of cake on a plate.Spread the cake with the Raspberry whipped cream .Place the other cake onto the filling.Spread the frosting on top and on the sides.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese without any lumps
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, making sure it is mixed in well
- Add the zest and Vanilla extract and beat on high speed until the frosting is fluffy
Take care and lots of love