Artichoke and Feta Tarts - DHSP Challenge #7

Spring is here and unusually early with the pleasant smells of freshly cut grass in the air!! With not many snow flakes burying us down and flowers blooming quite early this year, this year seems one with no Winter. Am I speaking too early? But the excitement is tough to contain with the birds chirping and the kids playing outdoors already. The yellow wild flowers in Spring carpet the remote dirt paths and narrow country roads lifting your spirits, which only makes going to work difficult.Admiring these flowers on my way to and back from work makes the monotonous activity interesting and something I look forward to.An hour long drive each way is filled with the snapshots of these flowers and the breathless scenery they weave.It is a nice start to a rather hectic day.
I go down country roads lined with houses painted in bright colors,with trees' shadows looming over those houses, with flower petals occasionally flying by, with the geese taking their sweet time to cross the road before I hit the rough and the nasty Turnpike. I simply LOVE Spring and it is only befitting to make this recipe, full of bright colors and textures.


 I bumped into this wonderful Simone's blog- Jungle Frog cooking who hosts Donna Hay Challenge every month. Truth be told, I did not know about Donna Hay! Like anyone, I was curious to know more about her that led me to her site. I instantly fell in love with the breathtaking pictures.When the challenge was announced, I was in two minds - to submit or not to submit. Nonetheless,I knew, I was making the dish.  With no heavy equipment and just a Nikon D3100, I was not sure if I can do complete justice to the Challenge and the picture. But in the last minute I decided to give it a go even if it meant I end up no where in the stack.
Original Picture by William Meppem
 Photography : William Meppem; Recipe: Donna Hay

In hindsight, I think I could have shot the picture a little closer. Overall, my family and I loved the recipe. I reduced the Mint to a tablespoon and added a 1/8th spoon of Herbs De Provence.I also replaced Cherry Tomatoes with Grape Tomatoes as my store did not carry at the time. I enjoyed shooting and eating it!

Original Recipe:
1 Sheet Store Bought Puff Pastry
1 Cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
4 artichoke hearts, Marinated and Halved
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup Grape tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup Frozen pea, thawed
1/4 cup mint leaves
Olive Oil (for drizzling)
White balsamic vinegar (for drizzling)
  • Preheat the oven to 400F
  • Thaw the pastry for 40 minutes by placing on a counter top or follow the directions on the package
  • Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
  • Cut the pastry into 4 squares
  • Score a 1 cm on the sides on each square
  • Place artichoke hearts and top it with feta cheese
  • Brush the pastry borders with beaten egg
  • Bake for 12- 14 minutes until the edges and the pastry turns golden brown
  • In the meantime, toss the tomatoes, peas, mint, olive oil and balsamic vinegar
  • Top the tarts with tomato salad
  • Serve!
 













                                            

6 comments:

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

beautiful click Shri. love this recipe.

Simones Kitchen said...

I'm so glad you participated in the challenge this month! Really cool. I love the look you managed to achieve with the photos too. pretty close to the original I would say. And you're right, the taste alone of these delicious tarts is worth making them!

Unknown said...

Colorful and tempting tarts...looks yum

Spandana said...

Beautiful clicks!! The tarts look very colorful and delicious!!

Spandana said...

You have an award waiting for you at my blog. Do visit and accept!

Ruchira Hoon said...

So pretty! And I love Donna Hay

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...